The Most Popular Topics on Facebook and Twitter

The 10 most popular content topics on Facebook and Twitter are very similar, but topics differ significantly beyond the top 10, according to a recent study by Klout. The report was based on Klout Topics data (categorized interests, passions, and content areas) from over 580 million people around the world. The analysis found music and television rank as the No. 1 and No. 2 most popular topics, respectively, on both Facebook and Twitter. Creating and sharing content concerning celebrities, software, holidays, films, and business is also extremely popular on both social networks.    Overall, 40% of topic interactions occur around the top 10 content areas on Facebook and Twitter, with the pattern of engagement looking roughly similar for each network. However, the remaining 60% of all engagement comes from topics beyond the top 10, and the percentage of interactions with those subjects differs significantly by network.   Among the most … [Read more...]

The Top 25 Marketing Influencers [Infographic]

Want to know who the biggest influencers are in marketing?  Here are the top 25, according to InsideView.  The criteria for inclusion in the list consisted of the following: being actively engaged on social media, being a hot commodity at conferences, being sought out for product or business endorsements, changing the marketing industry, and constantly sharing best-practices. Topping the list of marketing influencers is MarketingProfs' own Ann Handley, followed by Ardath Albee, Carlos Hidalgo, Charlene Li, and Craig Rose.  Check out the infographic to find out who the other top influencers are and to get a dose of inspiration for your own marketing: Veronica Maria Jarski is the Opinions editor and a senior writer at MarketingProfs. Twitter: @Veronica_Jarski  … [Read more...]

The New Klout is Awesome!

Social media geeks like myself have long debated the value of Klout. Some say Klout is silly and has no real applicable value while others say that it is an industry standard for figuring out if someone has a large share of voice online. Sure, the scoring system can be construed as silly, however we absolutely need a way to figure out just how influential people are in the digital space and Klout provides a decent approximation. The Klout debate will still rage on, however the importance of content marketing is NOT debatable. Klout knows this and have positioned themselves as an awesome new content marketing tool. This makes perfect sense because at the end of the day the content that we share is precisely what makes us influential. The NEW Klout measures your online influence AND recommends articles for you to share based on your topical interests. The interesting thing here is that usually platforms recommend content for YOUR consumption while Klout recommends content that … [Read more...]

Understanding Klout and Kred

If you are in any way involved in social media, then you are probably already familiar with the main sites that monitor and rank your social involvement Kred and Klout.  All three of these sites have the same goal in mind, ranking your social influence, but they go about measuring it in different ways.  And if you are anything like me you are scratching your head as to just how they go about it! Kred Kred was the first one I ever used.  They rank you based on two different categories, your influence and your outreach level.  Influence monitors your direct interaction between people in you social media networks that you have linked to your Kred account.  Kred places strong emphasis on how often you are retweeted, replied to, mentioned and followed on Twitter.  For Facebook its the number of mentions, posts, likes, shares and event invitations to you. It is all then wrapped up into the Kred Influence Score which is based on a scale of 1 to 1000, so the higher your score the more social … [Read more...]

How Your Klout Score is Calculated

Klout's vision is to enable everyone to discover and be recognized for how they influence the world. With the rise of social media, the ability to impact others has been democratized. Klout measures your influence based on your ability to drive action on social networks. The Klout Score is a single number that represents the aggregation of multiple pieces of data about your social media activity. We compute the Klout Score by applying our score model to these signals. Klout Score Signals The Klout Score incorporates more than 400 signals from seven different networks. We process this data on a daily basis to generate updates to your Klout Score. The majority of the signals used to calculate the Klout Score are derived from combinations of attributes, such as the ratio of reactions you generate compared to the amount of content you share. For example, generating 100 retweets from 10 tweets will contribute more to your Score than generating 100 retweets from 1,000 … [Read more...]